Standard and Custom Transformers
Bicron transformers bring system reliability to even the most complex application.
Definition and function
A transformer is a device that transfers electrical energy from one circuit to another through inductively coupled conductors—the transformer's coils. A varying current in the first or primary winding creates a varying magnetic flux in the transformer's core—and, thus, a varying magnetic field through the secondary winding. This varying magnetic field induces a varying electromotive force or "voltage" in the secondary winding, an effect called mutual induction.
If a load is connected to the secondary, an electric current will flow in the secondary winding and electrical energy will be transferred from the primary circuit through the transformer to the load. In an ideal transformer, the induced voltage in the secondary winding (Vs) is in proportion to the primary voltage (Vp), and is given by the ratio of the number of turns in the secondary (Ns) to the number of turns in the primary (Np) as follows:
Where : Vs is the secondary voltage
Ns is the number of turns on the secondary
Vp is the primary voltage
Np is the number of turns on the primary
Custom transformers from Bicron match your unique application to ensure a better, more efficient product—and a competitive position in your marketplace.
From application assessment to design, production, and final testing, Bicron's world-class experts collaborate closely with your engineering team to ensure a transformer that matches your system requirements. Our applications engineers are there to support your project from inception to launch.
Bicron transformers routinely operate for 15-20 years or more, often outlasting the equipment they are designed to control!
Three types of Bicron transformers:
High Frequency Transformers
Bicron specializes in the design and manufacture of ultra-reliable, custom high frequency transformers, with more than a dozen platform configurations to best suit your application.
High voltage custom engineered and manufactured transformers to optimize the performance of your system, with these and other features:
- High frequency power transformers, chassis mounted.
- Power magnetics at operating frequencies between 1 KHz and 1 MHz, and power ratings from 10VA to 10KVA.
- Step up, step down
- Transformer gate drive
- Switch mode
- Gate drive
IGBT drive transformers for IGBT modules
- Input/output voltage ratings up to 600 VRMS, and MTBF more than 20 years.
Bicron has produced more than 150,000 transformers for global installations, with these and other custom features:
- 1.5KVA toroidal power transformers
- Power transformers supplying blade pitch control systems
- Class H (180 Deg. C) UL approved insulation system, moisture resistant
- Partial discharge inception > 1400 VRMS
- Low inrush current
- Single-phase and 3-phase current transformers
- Underground switchgear and wind towers
- Unique core meets special saturation requirements under high fault conditions
- Electronics powered by secondary current transformers
- Customer cost reduced through Kaizen and design improvements
- Control and minimize coronal discharge
- Custom engineered for 3-phase, 200 amps and higher
Ideal Applications for Custom Current Sensors
- Switch gear
- Power grid metering
- Ground fault detection
Contact Bicron to discuss your company’s application for
standard and custom transformers: